Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Butternut squash and apple soup is a perfect Fall soup with smart selections of Fall produce. Both plants have healing powers and blend together very well to create a rich flavor. Add these ingredients to your shopping list for this week and add this to your weekly rotation. Expect to feel very full after a bowl and know that you will have a few days worth of quick and easy meals for this week. Is this healthy? Of course! Enjoy clean, real food that will keep you energized all day.
- Butternut squash, three to four cups cubed
- Large apple, one (or more if you like), peeled, cored, and diced
- Onion, one medium-sized, diced
- Celery, one rib
- Vegetable broth, one 28 oz. container (you can add water, depending on consistency desired)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 5-10 fresh sage leaves, chopped (can use 1 tsp. ground if fresh not available)
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup Directions
1. Add all ingredients, except for fresh sage, into a large pot.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3. Cook for around 15 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
4. Blend ingredients until smooth, using an immersion blender, or transfer to regular blender.
5. Return to pot and add chopped fresh sage, reserving some for garnish. Heat for a few more minutes.
Additional topping ideas:
- Chopped apples
- Fresh parsley, chives, or thyme
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Canned coconut milk for added creaminess
- Hot pepper sauce or red pepper flakes for additional heat
- Chicken apple sausage
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup Recipe Highlights
Keep this butternut squash and apple soup recipe on-hand for a nutritious Fall recipe. Not only does this soup include whole foods, but it’s also dairy and gluten-free to keep your gut happy. Next time you are out shopping for produce, pick these plants up and prepare to make a delicious soup. Make sure you have some storage containers on hand so you can save your extra soup for the rest of the week.
For more recipes like this, join the Wellthy Soul weekly newsletter right HERE.