While hunting around for a simple spinach and strawberry summer salad, I couldn’t find all the flavors I was craving in one recipe. In the kitchen, I try to keep things easy and delicious. Using whole foods as the base of my nutrition, I look for recipes that include simple, real food. Influenced by summer fruit, this salad is flavorful and light.
Ingredients for the Spinach and Strawberry Summer Salad
- 16 ounces of organic spinach
- 1.5 pounds of organic strawberries- stems removed and sliced
- 4 strips of cooked bacon broken to small pieces
- 1/4 – 1/2 of a red onion diced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup of crumbled cheese (feta, goat, or blue cheese)
- 1/2 cup of toasted pecans
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of balsamic vinaigrette
- *add organic, grilled chicken strips to make this salad a full meal
1. In a frying pan, place the pecans on medium heat for 3-5 minutes stirring as they toast.
2. After the pecans are toasted, cook the bacon to a crisp and chop into small pieces.
3. Combine spinach, bacon, and onions together in a bowl.
4. Layer in strawberries.
5. Toss the salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
6. Top the mixed salad with crumbled cheese and toasted pecans.
Pair with the Spinach and Strawberry Summer Salad
When meal planning around this crowd favorite, consider if it will be the main dish. When I prepared this salad, I paired it with bone-in, barbecue chicken roasted in the oven. On the other side of the plate, I added organic corn and freshly sliced watermelon. This salad was not only flavorful, but our plate was full of color from fresh, healthy food. Eat simply. Eat to nourish your body.
We help adults over 40 lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks using science and accountability. Join the waitlist here.